Sunday 12 April 2015

Growing Colourful, Exotic Caladiums In My Garden #1

There are many varieties of Caladium. I have a few varieties growing in my garden and today I will introduce some of them to you in this post.
Caladium Thai Beauty
Scientific name is Caladium. Caladium belongs to the family of Araceae.
Caladium Thai Beauty - looking like butterflies
Some of the common names are Elephant Ear, Angel Wings, Pink Cloud, Candidum, Fancy-Leaved Caladium, etc.
Caladium Thai Beauty
Caladiums are plants with multi-coloured and heart-shaped leaves. They are grown mostly for their large and showy leaves. These plants add colours to the garden.
Caladium Thai Beauty
They are tropical plants and can be grown in the ground or in containers. Caladiums grow well in warm climates, need rich, moist roil with good water drainage.
Also known as Caladium cv. 'Hok Long' - less shade, more green.
Partial shade is the ideal place, if placed indoor, the plants need to be exposed to bright light.
Caladium Thai Beauty - new leaves are less colourful.
Caladium plants do not have stems. The leaves grown out from the ground, directly from the tubers.
Caladium Siam Moon - this is from my sister's garden.
The leaves comes in various mixture of colours of white, green, pink, deep pink, red, deep red, etc. Some are spotted and some are streaked.
This is also from my sister's garden.
Propagation of Caladium is through tubers. Caladium needs regular fertilizing and watering to keep soil moist.
Caladium Thai Beauty - these leaves look like batik printings.
Caladium Thai Beauty - leaves in shades of pink, green & white.

You afflicted, tossed with storms, and not comforted,
behold, I will set your stones in beautiful colours,
and lay your foundations with sapphires.
I will make your pinnacles of rubies,
your gates of sparkling jewels,
and all your walls of precious stones.
(Isaiah 54:11-12, World English Bible-WEB)

34 comments:

  1. it looks beautiful we don't this type in Poland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your garden is just gorgeous, a really paradise, Nancy!
    Love Caladium and they are beautiful!
    Wishing you and yours a lovely Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonia. Wishing you a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning, beautiful plants. I love the pink and green colors.. Great photos. Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Eileen, thank you. A happy week to you.

      Delete
  4. Nancy, these are so amazing that at first I thought you had edited the pictures. Now I think you did not. I used to grow several of these years ago. they were HUGE and I kept them on my kitchen window sill. Mine were never outside, but they got a lot of light. You are a SUPER gardener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. The pictures are not edited, the color is real.

      Delete
  5. They are gorgeous, Nancy!!! I know that the colours are real, because I have seen these in public greenhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The leaves look like butterfly wings. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely. looks like the wings of butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, these Caladiums are very beautiful and striking. I was so captivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. I am still captivated by it, ha ha.

      Delete
  9. Lovely as usual, Nancy! I was going out once with a guy whose mother collected caladiums. So for a while I kept looking out for new varieties. That phase over now haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. Ha ha...new phase now...have a lovely week.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow Can, I had no idea there were so many types of Caladiums. Such beautiful foliage. I've never tried to grow them but I think I will.

    Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving your link. I'll join your followers.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Can, I had no idea there were so many types of Caladiums. Such beautiful foliage. I've never tried to grow them but I think I will.

    Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving your link. I'll join your followers.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your gardens must be so beautiful. I must make a trip to the plant nursery in my neighbourhood and have a look around.
    Thanks for this.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gardens must be so beautiful. I must make a trip to the plant nursery in my neighbourhood and have a look around.
    Thanks for this.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so tempted to get some now..lol ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go have a look, they are many variety to choose from.

      Delete
  15. Hi..how much the caladium sia moon are you in singapore

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Sad to say that I have lost this plant forever. I don't have this any more.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...