Wednesday 11 February 2015

Making My Own Crispy Chicken Meat Floss Rolls For Chinese New Year

After I have finished frying the arrowhead chips, my next project was to make my own crispy meat floss rolls. The meat floss roll is a very expensive item. I used to buy these meat floss rolls for my boys and we all love these meat floss rolls. Just for a very small plastic container with the red cap, it cost about MYR 15 to MYR 16. It was not enough for even 1 person. I have since learnt to make my own meat floss rolls and we can now enjoy them to our satisfaction.

To make these meat floss rolls is a very slow and time consuming task, needs a lot of patience, rolling these rolls one by one. Each day I spent about 2 to 3 hours folding the rolls. No wonder it is so expensive. Normally I will take a few hours a day to roll them, placing them in containers and keep them in the refrigerator until I have folded the whole batch. Then I will start to fry the rolls. Frying the rolls is very fast and easy. Eating and finishing them is easiest and fastest.
I bought a half kilo packet of meat floss and 4 packet of spring roll wraps. There are 2 sizes, I bought the small squares.

I let the spring roll wraps defrost before the cutting them into four equal smaller squares. Place the small squares into a covered container to keep them moist. Take them out in small batches. Once they dried up, it will easily break and not flexible for folding. There are many brands of spring roll or popiah skin for sale in the mini market or supermarket. I bought this from the mini market nearest to my house and this was the only brand on sale.
Take out some of the chicken meat floss and place them in a container.

I mixed some cornflour with some water (room temperature) in a bowl.

Peel off a piece of spring roll wrap and place it on a flat plate with one pointed towards me. Used my clean hand to pick up some meat floss and placed it neatly on the small square as in the picture, not in the centre but slightly more to my side.
Then I folded the pointed end on my side over to the opposite pointed end, as shown above.
Next, I folded the two sides as shown above.

After that I rolled as shown above. I then used the spoon and placed some of the cornflour and water mixture on the pointed edge to seal the meat roll.

This is how my chicken meat floss rolls looked like before frying.

This year I wanted to try a new pattern of folding the meat floss rolls. First, I placed the meat floss in the centre of the square.

Then I folded it exactly into half.

I then folded it like this as above.

After that I folded the two sides, overlapping one over the other, sealing them with the cornflour and water mixture.

This is how the new pattern looked like.

New pattern, from another angle. Next year I might fold my meat floss rolls in the new pattern. For this year, I will stick to the usual, old pattern.

Before frying, I took the containers of meat floss rolls from the refrigerator, and leave them at room temperature before frying them.

Then I poured the cooking oil into the frying pan, heated up the oil to the right temperature for frying. Next, I placed the half-moon stainless steel rack over the pan to allow the oil to drip back into the frying pan.

To check whether the oil is of right temperature, just dip a chop stick into the hot oil. If you see bubbles coming from the chop stick, then it is time for frying.

I gathered the amount of frying into the sieve, so that the whole batch will go into the oil at the same time. I then lowered the sieve and slowly poured the rolls into the oil. Keep the fire medium.

Do be patient, do not try to fry too much at one time. Use a pair of chop sticks to occasionally stir the rolls so that they will be evenly fried and the colour will be uniform throughout.
These are the newly fried meat rolls. Place the sieve over the half moon rack to allow the oil to drip back into the frying pan. Then pour the rolls onto oil absorbent paper. When they have totally cooled down, store them in air-tight containers lined with oil absorbent paper. Each year the most I made is half a kilo meat floss. These are really nice to munch but so time consuming and lots of patience needed.

Now we know that God's judgment against those
who do such things is based on truth.
So when you, a mere man,
pass judgment on them and yet do the same things,
do you think you will escape God's judgment?
Or do you show contempt for the riches
of His kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing
that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?
(Romans 2:2-4, New International Version-NIV)

25 comments:

  1. This is very fancy and time consuming. Your folds are great, like professional. So you have to be an artist to make these, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, thank you. its the 3rd time I am making this, so have got used to folding them.

      Delete
  2. I loves this, but never try making myself before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this too, whole family love this too, so have to make lo...or else I have to buy, it very expensive, homemade ones cheaper.

      Delete
  3. Looking at this, am tempted to mk. Half kg can mk how many small containers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the Jacob's biscuit tin, the square ones, about 750g tin? Half kg meat floss & 4 pkt small sq spring rolls wraps can make almost 1 tin. I didn't put them in the red cap containers.

      Delete
    2. wah quite good leh.

      Wanna ask u...if I use har mai(dried shrimp) but dont wanna put cili, will jadi or not ah? Coz my son and hubby dont like pedas but hubi like to eat har mai

      Delete
    3. Sure will jadi even without the cili. I love har mai too. Will bookmark har mai for next year's project hahaha.

      Delete
    4. thanks. maybe will try tmw. Just now i tried using meat floss...ok la. But mu color not as nice as yours. some of it just refused to turn around and be fried...end up one side dark one side whitish....argh....this one need kungfu leh.... LOL

      Delete
  4. Nancy, these mini rolls are so nice to munch while watching TV! Your step by step tutorial is very useful for anyone who wants to make some for themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, some friends have been asking me how to make, so I share with whoever wants to make these.

      Delete
  5. They look very nice, Nancy, lots of hard work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, lots of hard work but reward in eating.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stil haven fry the filament sticks ;) can see you are in festive mood ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa....suddenly got bitten by festive bug mah....

      Delete
  8. I stil haven fry the filament sticks ;) can see you are in festive mood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so much patience to make this. The time taken to make this vs the time taken to eat this - so much difference! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, ya, so much time and labour just for a short while of pleasure hahahh

      Delete
  10. I guess that once you make this yourself, you will appreciate each piece more and eat slower? :)

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...