Wednesday 3 December 2014

EVERGREEN TAPAK KUCING SHRUB (POLYSCIAS GUILFOYLEI)

Besides flowering plants, I too have many green leafy plants in my garden. One of them is the evergreen Tapak Kucing plant. It is also know as Geranium Aralia from the Araliaceae family. It can grow to a height of 3 meters or more.
Tapak Kucing shrub grows well both in full sunlight and in shady places. It can be grown in pots as a indoor plant or in ground as hedge, or as ornamental landscaping plant. It is not fussy and can grow well in average soil condition.
It can be easily trimmed and shaped as a bonsai tree. It does not need much fertilizer.
Medicinal uses: To treat scabies, ringworm and skin diseases: Crush or pound the leaves and paste onto affected parts.
I started my plant from stem cutting. It is very easy to grow them from stem cuttings. Remove some of the leaves from the cut stems and stick the stems into moist garden soil, keep them under shade and it will grow.
The sap from the cut stem may cause irritation, is considered a toxic plant and is not edible. It is advisable to place the plant out of reach of little children and pets.
(This picture shows the upper side of the leaf.)

I have been wondering why this plant is named Tapak Kucing (in Malay) or does it means "Cat's Paw Print" in English? I plucked a leaf and looked at it closely and it does look like a cat's paw print. I copied these free clip art of the cat's paw prints from ClipArtBest.com to show the resemblance.



(And this picture shows the under side of the leaf.)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
(Proverbs 1:7, New International Version-NIV)

21 comments:

  1. Really interesting about the cat's paw. The leaves are really beautiful, unlike any I have seen. They are so fancy they remind me of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name "cat's paw" is very appropriate for this plant. It makes a very beautiful indoor plant.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for showing us why this plant is called the cat's paw. Can really see the similarities from your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tapak Kucing plant does resembles the cat's paw. I love all the greens. Shrubs is easy to grow than flowers. Thanks for sharing your knowlege about plants. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the greens, very easy to take care.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. This plant do not need any green fingers to grow them, very easy to take care also.

      Delete
  5. The cat's paw is fascinating, and your photos are lovely! My favourite colour is green, so your photos have made me smile. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that my photos have made you smiled. I love green...it is so calming.

      Delete
  6. This is a new plant to me - and yes they certainly do look like cat's paws. Have a wonderful week and thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill, for visiting my blog. Bless you.

      Delete
  7. I remember this plant! A long time ago when I was a kid, we lived in a rented house and this plant was planted along the fence. I used to pluck the leaves and paint it with my mum's nail polish. I hope my mum doesn't read this hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's a very a idea, I never thought of doing that. If I did that, I probably will not be able to sit down for many days after the spanking!

      Delete
  8. Lovely! Thanks for the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have really interesting plants Nancy. So fun to see. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riitta. Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete
  10. A very interesting post Nancy. It does look like a cat's paw!
    I love hardy geraniums but none of mine look as exotic as yours.
    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Prunella. Have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  11. I truly enjoy looking at on this web site, it has got fantastic articles.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...